Sustainable Lighting Choices
Did you know?
- Lighting accounts for as much as 25% of the energy used in commercial office buildings.
- Buildings account for almost half of the national annual energy consumption.
- Globally, 76% of all power plant generated electricity is used just to operate buildings.
- Buildings of less than 100,000 square feet account for 98% of commercial office space in the US.
- Tenants are increasingly asking about "green" buildings in an effort to control their overall leasing costs.
In a world where energy efficient decisions are so important to both your bottom line and your overall facility image, it's critical to consider all factors in your lighting decisions. Your choice of lighting can impact your building's overall success: not only can you save money and labor costs, but making the right choices can increase productivity of your employees and tenants.
How to Go Green
LED lamps and lighting fixtures can be an excellent option to meet your sustainability goals. They use up to 75% less electricity than incandescent bulbs and are built to last between 25,000 and 50,000 hours (compared to 1-2,000 hours for incandescents). In addition to their durability, they offer high-quality light and color – they achieve brightness instantly and are available in cool, neutral and warm color temperatures. And, because LEDs produce very little heat, they could potentially cut air-conditioning costs, as well. You can choose LED options for both indoor and outdoor commercial applications.
Here are some things to consider in your lighting decisions:
When choosing lamps, consider factors such as: life, color consistency, lumen maintenance, ballast/system efficiency, lighting control options (like occupancy sensors, dimmers, load sharing, etc)
When choosing lamps and ballasts, consider efficiency (lumens per watt), as well as life and lighting control options.
Consider longer life products (including T5s, T8s and LEDs) with superior color stability and lumen maintenance to reduce labor/replacement costs and extend maintenance intervals
Using longer life products will reduce your costs of removal and disposal of end-of-life lamps, ballasts, luminaries and components
LED Lamps and Lighting Fixtures
Source: Osram Sylvania